and Eileen Frierson
Homeless Subcommittee Chaired by John Barrett
Civic Events Subcommittee Co-Chaired by Dan-Solis-Cohen
and Valerie Lagauskas
The Health, Safety and Tranquility Committee shall establish and maintain excellent communication and cooperation with Government and City Agencies ie: Police, Fire, Health, Streets, Parking Authority and Highway, as well as other agencies as needed regarding the quality and safety of LSNA and its residents.
Duties of the committee and sub-committees are as follows:
- Works to maintain law and order and safety of person and property.
- Reports aggressive and/or abusive panhandling.
- Identifies the safe and prompt removal of hazardous materials and helps to control dangerous situations found on public property or open spaces.
- Works to control, suppress and/or eliminate pest and vermin disease, including but not limited to fleas, flies, mosquitoes, mice and rates.
- Ensure the maintenance and repair of roadways, traffic control devices and overhead lighting.
- Ensure that walkways and street crossings are safely negotiable for handicapped individuals, people with infants/small children and other pedestrians.
- Oversee that garbage, trash, debris and recyclable materials are removed from residential properties at least weekly and oversee similar collections from commercial enterprises.
- Oversee that the timely cleaning of storm sewer inlets are done and/or repaired or replaced as needed. Also, sanitary sewers as the need arises.
- Ensure that the removal of snow and application of ice melts on streets is performed as needed.
- Act as a liaison with LSNA Town Watch groups.
Communicate with agencies that provide food and shelter for homeless individuals and/or family units.
Interacts with city agencies and organizations regarding homeless activity in the LSNA community.
Reports on homeless issues to HSC committee.
Civic Events Sub-Committee
Regulate parades, festivals, concerts, walks, races and demonstrations to minimize or prevent untoward impact on the residential community
Ensure the prompt removal of garbage, trash, and debris following parades, festivals, celebrations and demonstrations
Co-chairs will meet with city officials to review plans for events within the LSNA community.
Co-chairs will provide on-going updates to the HSC committee members on all details involving events.
Co-chairs of HSC will prepare the final report to the LSNA President and Board.
To help make efficient use of board and committee meeting time, please email your health and safety-related concerns to H-S@LSNAPhilly.org before
the next committee or board meeting. The committee meets monthly on the first Wednesday of every month.
The Committee meets on the first Wednesday of alternate months, starting in
January, at the the Park Towne Place, 22nd and the Parkway, in the South Building (please check in at
the front desk). Please email H-S@LSNAPhilly.org
to RSVP and be informed of any changes in meeting time/location.
7:00 p.m.: Police Service Area 2 meeting with Ninth Police District officer liaison
7:30 p.m.: Committee meeting
Health & Safety Resources
Reports of Health & Safety Committee & LSNA PDAC Representatives
Crime Prevention Tips
Health & Safety Goals of Logan Square Neighborhood-Parkway Plan
In partnership with the Philadelphia City Planning Commission, LSNA
hired professional planners to prepare the Logan Square
Neighborhood-Parkway Plan. The Plan articulates a shared vision for the
Logan Square community based on the input of residents, businesses,
institutions, and other key stakeholders. Click here for the full text of the Plan.
Please contact the Committee at H-S@LSNAPhilly.org to help implement the health and safety-related components of the Plan.
We are a small group of volunteers, so please consider contributing
some time - as little or as much as you can spare - to help LSNA with
health and safety-related concerns.